World champ behind bars for title fight, has charges dropped
WBO and IBF international light-heavyweight champion Damien Hooper has had 10 of his charges dropped this morning, but will remain behind bars for his next title fight.
The Toowoomba fighter was originally charged with having allegedly gagged a woman, burnt her with a cigarette, pushed her from a moving car and choked her over two days in Toowoomba last November.
A Justice's warrant was issued for the complainant to give testimony last week, but as a result of her non-appearance today, police have officially dropped those charges.
The charges police have dropped included deprivation of liberty and assault occasioning bodily harm.
She had not given evidence in the seven months since the incident, police said last week
Police prosecutor Acting Sergeant Julia Wheaton told the court how officers had searched nine properties in the Toowoomba region in a bid to bring the woman before a Magistrate to give evidence this morning.
Hooper is also facing a string of unrelated charges including 21 breaches of bail for allegedly punching a police officer outside of the Blue Mountain Hotel in May among other offences.
On those matters, he was remanded in custody by Magistrate Roger Stark to reappear back in the same court on July 12.
Hooper was scheduled to defend his world title in Sydney on July 4 but will now miss the bout as he remains behind bars.