Woman burnt by oil fire
A GYMPIE woman can reinterate the warnings that you should never throw water onto an oil fire, after being burnt on Monday.
When a pan with oil caught fire about 3.44pm at the Oxford Court, Southside address, the woman tried to douse flames in water, but that only made the oil spit and resulted in the woman, 43, receiving partial thickness burns to her left forearm and hand.
She was initially treated by ambulance officers at the home and then taken to Gympie Hospital.
The fire was extinguished before Gympie Fire and Rescue officers arrived.
A spokesperson said the best option if oil caught fire was to call triple-0 and either put the lid back on the pot or use a fire blanket to starve the fire of oxygen.
Operation Safe Home, run by the by the Queensland Fire and Rescue Service, offers free fire safety inspections of Gympie homes and a free fire blanket to participants, call 1300 369 003 to take part.