BUDDING home renovators be warned: the people who make DIY projects look easy on television are professionals!
Queensland Ambulance Service is urging residents to put their safety first when undertaking home handy jobs and renovations around the home.
QAS Commissioner Russell Bowles said paramedics have attended many incidents as a result of DIY projects that had gone wrong.
"DIY projects can be a fun and exciting challenge, but taking your time and putting your well-being and safety first is most important," Mr Bowles said.
"Paramedics respond to injuries each year that can range from eye trauma, broken bones, lacerations and burns to even electric shock.
Mr Bowles said it was important people took some simple steps to prevent injury.
"People who undertake DIY projects must treat their home like a worksite and have the same safety equipment before starting," he said.
"Safety gear such as gloves, steel-cap boots and hard hats are a must to protect yourself from injury; and scaffolding may assist you to work safely at heights.
"People should also be careful when using unfamiliar power tools and ensure they know how to use the equipment correctly."