SEQ weather warning cancelled
SEVERE thunderstorms are no longer affecting the southeast Queensland area (east of Dalby from Rainbow Beach to Stanthorpe).
The Bureau of Meteorology issued a cancellation of the warning at 8pm.
The bureau said the immediate threat of severe thunderstorms has passed, but the situation will continue to be monitored and further warnings will be issued if necessary.
Between 2pm and 3pm 79mm of rain fell at Musket Flat, 52mm of rain fell in 30 minutes at Dysart and 58mm of rain fell in one hour (until 6pm) at Roma.
A severe thunderstorm warning issued earlier for damaging wind, flash flooding and large hailstones for people in the Maranoa and Warrego and parts of the Central Highlands and Coalfields, Central West and Channel Country Forecast Districts is still current.
Severe thunderstorms are likely to produce damaging winds, very heavy rainfall, flash flooding and large hailstones in the warning area over the next several hours. Locations which may be affected include Roma, Charleville, Cunnamulla, St George, Tambo and Blackall.
Emergency Management Queensland advises that people should:
- Move your car under cover or away from trees.
- Secure loose outdoor items.
- Avoid driving, walking or riding through flood waters.
- Seek shelter, preferably indoors and never under trees.
- Avoid using the telephone during a thunderstorm.
- Beware of fallen trees and powerlines.
- For emergency assistance contact the SES on 132 500.
Southeast Coast District
Mostly cloudy with early drizzle areas. Scattered showers and isolated thunderstorms developing during the morning. Possible locally heavy falls with thunderstorms. Rough surf conditions easing. Light to moderate E to NE winds.
Cloudy with showers developing. A possible thunderstorm or two, particularly during the afternoon. Light to moderate E to NE winds.
Darling Downs and Granite Belt
Mostly cloudy. Early morning drizzle areas. Isolated showers, becoming scattered during the day with isolated thunderstorms developing. Light to moderate E to NE winds.
Mostly cloudy with showers developing. A possible thunderstorm or two, particularly during the afternoon and evening. Light to moderate NE winds.
Cloudy with showers. A possible thunderstorm or two.
Wide Bay and Burnett
Scattered showers and isolated thunderstorms near the coast and over Fraser Island. Early morning drizzle areas inland, tending to scattered showers during the day with isolated thunderstorms developing. Possible isolated heavy falls with thunderstorms. Light to moderate E to NE winds.
Isolated showers, increasing this afternoon with isolated thunderstorms. Patchy rain developing. Moderate falls, heavy with thunderstorms. Light to moderate N to NE winds.
Central Coast and Whitsundays
Patchy rain, scattered showers with isolated thunderstorms. Some moderate to heavy falls. Light to moderate NW to NE winds.
Central Highlands and Coalfields
Patchy rain, isolated thunderstorms. Showers and thunderstorms increasing this afternoon. Moderate falls, locally heavy falls. Light winds.
Herbert and Lower Burdekin
Scattered showers, rain areas and isolated thunderstorms, mostly in the afternoon and evening. Moderate to heavy falls possible. Light to moderate NW to NE winds.
The following Watches/Warnings are current:
- Flood warning for Condamine River at Cotswold, Bungill Creek and the Balonne River
- Flood warning for the Albert and Logan Rivers
- Flood warning for the Flinders River
- Flood warning for the Herbert River
- Flood warning for the Mary River
- Flood warning for the Moonie River
- Flood warning for the Warrego River
- Flood warning for the Weir River
- Flood warning for the Paroo, Bulloo and Thomson/Barcoo catchments
- Bardon, Bowman Parade
- Brookfield, Green Trees Avenue
- Dayboro, Juffs Road at Armstrong Creek
- Dayboro, Kobble Creek Road
- Dayboro, Armstrong Creek Road
- Dayboro, Lees Crossing Road at Armstrong Creek
- Dayboro, Juffs Road West at Armstrong Creek
- Dayboro, Laceys Creek Road
- Dayboro, Cedar Creek Road
- Petrie, Youngs Crossing Road
- Pullenvale, Pinjarra Road
- Larapinta, Paradise Road
- Oxley, Cliveden Avenue at Oxley Creek
- Oxley, Ipswich M'way, Blunder Road exit
- Rocklea, Marshall Road
- Willawong, Bowhill Road (open with care)
South East corner (Logan and Gold Coast)
- Arundel, Brisbane Road (Westbound at Marble Arch Place)
- Biddaddaba Creek, Beaudesert-Nerang Road at Biddaddaba
- Beenleigh, George Street and Bourndary Street
- Beaudesert, Biddaddaba Creek Road
- Beaudesert, Nerang-Beaudesert Road
- Beaudesert, Telemon Street
- Beaudesert, McKee Street
- Boyland, Biddaddaba Road
- Boyland, Boyland Road
- Buccan, Dairy Creek Road
- Cainbable, Cainbable Creek Road
- Canungra, Lamington National Park Road
- Canungra, Coburg Road
- Cedar Creek, Plunket Road east of Waterford Tamborine Road
- Cedar Grove, Cedar Grove Road
- Cedar Grove, Cedar Pocket Road
- Coomera, Days Road
- Coomera, Foxwell Road
- Coomera, Amity Road
- Cornubia, Mt Cotton Road
- Eagleby, Fryar Road
- Ferny Glen, Rowe Road
- Flying Fox, Flying Fox Road
- Guanaba, Birds Road
- Helensvale, Gold Coast Highway (near Country Club Drive)
- Illinbah, Illinbah Road Prices Creek
- Jimboomba, Millstream Road and Mount Lindesay Hwy
- Kingsholme, Upper Ormeau Road
- Kingston, Bega Road
- Logan Central, Wembly Road between Bardon Road and Logan Mwy round-a-bout
- Logan Reserve, Logan Reserve Road (between Schmidt's Rd and Beautell St)
- Loganholme, Clarks Road
- Marsden, Tamarind Street
- Marsden, Princess Street
- Marsden, Third Avenue
- Marsden, Kurrajong Drive
- Maudsland, Birds Road
- Maudsland, The Narrow bridge on Guanaba Creek Road
- Merrimac, Highfield Drive
- Mount Tamborine, Gold Course Road
- Mudgeeraba, Springbrook Rd
- Mudgeeraba, Sommerset Road
- Mudgeeraba, Summerset Drive
- Mudgeeraba, Gunsynd Drive
- Mundoolan, Mundoolan Road
- Ormeau, Goldmine Road
- Oxenford, Tamborine-Oxenford Road (John Muntz Causeway)
- Park Ridge, Stoney Camp Road
- Robina, Robina Town Centre Drive
- Shailer Park, Shailer Road near the old on ramp south-bound to the Pacific Mwy
- Sarabah, Sarabah Road
- Sarabah, Rymera Road
- Southport, Ada Bell Way
- Surfers Paradise, Palm Avenue
- Surfers Paradise, River Avenue
- Tanah Merah, Murrays Road
- Tanah Merah, Clarks Road
- Tanah Merah, Jalan Road
- Tabaragalba, Beaudesert-Nerang Road
- Tallebudgeeraba, Tallebudgeeraba Connection Road
- Upper Coomera - John Muntz causeway (Tamborine-Oxenford Road)
- Varsity Lakes, Scottsdale Avenue
- Witheren, Upper Coomera Road
- Witheren, Beechmont Road
- Wolffdene / Luscombe, Beenleigh - Beaudesert Road
- Wonglepong, Beaudesert Road
- Agnes Waters / Miriam Vale, Fingerboard Road
- Augathella / Charleville, Mitchell Highway at Yo Yo Creek
- Dogwood Creek, Condamine Highway
Police are advising the community to avoid flooded roads, creeks and watercourses and members of the public are also reminded that road closures and road conditions can change rapidly as creeks and water courses can rise and fall quickly.
Police would like to remind motorists and members of the public of the hazardous and unpredictable nature of flood waters and the dangers associated with storm debris and road washouts. Police urge everyone to obey road closure signs and to travel with extreme caution, limiting non essential travel in flood affected areas where possible.
Parents are also reminded to ensure their children are not playing in flood prone waterways, watercourses and drains as water levels can rise quickly. Members of the public should monitor local radio stations, their local council and organisations, such as the Traffic and Travel information site www.131940.qld.gov.au or cal 13 19 40 for information on localised flooding and road closures.