Truss supports 80:20 funding split to upgrade Bruce Hwy
QUEENSLAND has welcomed a promise from the Federal Coalition to adhere to an 80:20 funding split to upgrade the crumbling Bruce Hwy.
The funding split guarantee comes after days of arguing between the Newman and Gillard governments over the federal commitment to the arterial road.
Shadow Infrastructure Minister Warren Truss has indicated the Coalition would agree to an 80:20 funding split which would leave a Coalition government footing most of the bill.
Mr Truss was part of the group of politicians and industry groups last year to formulate a Bruce Hwy Action Plan, which called for an extra $4 billion from the Federal Government over 10 years.
"I am pleased to read reports today the Shadow Infrastructure Minister Warren Truss supports this funding agreement and will be going above and beyond the base funding for the Bruce Hwy," Queensland Transport Minister Scott Emerson said on Thursday.
"We look forward to seeing the final funding detail from the Coalition in the coming months."
The Queensland Government has identified more than $10 billion is needed to upgrade the road, including flood mitigation, over the next 10 years.
It committed an extra $1 billion to the road on the basis the Federal Government commits extra funding and to an 80:20 funding split.
Earlier in the week, Prime Minister Julia Gillard announced Labor would spend $4.1 billion, which Queensland said provided no new money above the Federal Government's normal expected funding for the Bruce Hwy.
Mr Emerson said he would continue to lobby both the Coalition and Labor for a commitment.
"We need a national effort to save lives and reduce crashes between Brisbane and Cairns," he said. "Throughout the federal election campaign both the Coalition and Labor need to properly fund this national road and commit new money to new projects.
"Otherwise, as the RACQ predicts, we will see up to 400 people die on this national road over the next decade."