News

Lithium battery warning: ‘Treat them like poison’

A GYMPIE district boy has survived suspected lithium battery poisoning, after being airlifted to Brisbane for emergency treatment, a hospital spokeswoman said yesterday.

The boy, 4, was flown out of Gympie Hospital, his mother by his side, on Monday night, after possibly swallowing a lithium button battery.

He was taken to Brisbane's Lady Cilento Children's Hospital, where a spokesman said the batteries were capable of causing life-threatening internal injuries, if swallowed.

A Tewantin girl, also four, died almost two years ago in Noosa Hospital after a similar incident.

The Gympie Times reported at the time that doctors had been unable to save the girl, who had suffered severe stomach bleeding.

Gympie Regional Council health portfolio councillor and Gympie ambulance chief Wayne Sachs says batteries need to be treated like poison
Gympie Regional Council health portfolio councillor and Gympie ambulance chief Wayne Sachs says batteries need to be treated like poison Renee Pilcher

"PARENTS need to treat them like any other household poison and keep them well out of reach of children," he said.

Potentially fatal damage can begin within an hour.

They are only the size of lollies, Cr Sachs said yesterday.

"People need to be careful, especially if they notice a battery is missing from a device.

"They are very dangerous, some are easily swallowed and they can be fatal.

"Parents need to take all the same precautions that they would with any poison and keep them well out of reach of children."

A spokeswoman at Lady Cilento yesterday said the Gympie boy was now in a stable condition and was recovering.

New Zealand authorities issued a warning in 2013, soon after the Noosa Hospital tragedy, that parents did not have the luxury of simply waiting for the battery to pass, "because it's a two-hour timeframe before it actually starts to cause damage."

They said that at that time, about 20 children suffered serious internal damage every year as a result of battery ingestion.

In the US, authorities warned of electrical and chemical burns.

"If caught in the throat, the batteries send an electrical current through the tissue, eventually burning a hole in the trachea or oesophagus," according to a medical warning in the US Journal of Paediatrics.

The batteries, which are often also contained in car keys and even greeting cards, pose what has been called an invisible threat, with many parents saying they have not heard of any warnings.

American experience indicates most cases involve batteries out of remote control devices. In June 2003, four year old Tewantin girl Summer Steer died from stomach bleeding after swallowing a battery that morning.

The Gympie Times reported at the time that the batteries can be difficult to detect on an x-ray because they look like a button. It was important for parents to let doctors know that the child may have swallowed a battery.

Susan Teerds from Kidsafe Queensland said at the time of Summer Steer's death that saliva would start a chemical reaction that would burn a hole in flesh, even through to vital parts like the aorta or the spine.

Toys usually had safeguards to prevent batteries from falling out, but TV remotes and car keys were less likely to have these safeguards.

Battery poisoning

  • Effect: Ingestion can cause electrical or chemical burns in the throat, which sometimes prove fatal
  • Need for speed: Damage, potentially fatal, begins within two hours
  • First aid: Contact Poisons Information Centre on 13 11 26, do not let child eat or drink, do not induce vomiting
Gympie Times

Topics:  child safety gympie hospital



Date nights under $50

ACCORDING to The Bachelor falling in love involves helicopter rides, private jets, shopping trips, and we mustn’t forget the hot tubs.

Brisbane's arts and culture events centre stage

You loved the film, now you're about to love the musical. Don't miss The Bodyguard The Musical in Brisbane this July.

THE arts and culture events you don't want to miss.

Homewares stores to fulfil your Instagram dreams

No Caption

You too can become an Insta-star with these fab stores.

Top 10 Brisbane experiences to cross off your bucket list

Do yourself a favour and get amongst the food truck scene. Eat Street is a great place to start.

A GOOD bucket list doesn’t have to span continents or cost millions.

Six mega sporting events you need to be at this year

Don't miss all the action trackside this season.

IF THERE is one thing Brisbane does damn well, it’s play host.

Six reasons to get to Brisbane this Autumn

The Brisbane Powerhouse has free comedy on Friday nights.

AUTUMN has to be up there with one of the best seasons of the year.

The best things to do in Brisbane are FREE. Yes, FREE

Mt Coot-tha is a seriously gorgeous way to start your day.

HEADING to the big smoke doesn’t have to come with a big price tag.

Those responsible have turned their back on humanity

Sometimes it's hard to find the right words

O'Brien rejects claim of Bruce Hwy funding 'cut'

Crash investigators at the scene of a double fatality on the Bruce Highway two kilometres north of Tiaro.

War of words between O'Brien and Albanese over Bruce Hwy

$30,000 helps say thanks for 118 Gympie airlifts

Gympie mother, Kate Bailey thanks LifeFlight for saving her two children Aneeka and Cooper Bailey-Bauer in an emotional reunion at the Sunshine Coast helicopter base.

Council gives LifeFlight $30,000

Local Partners

Concert death toll revised up to 22

NINETEEN people have been killed and at least 59 people have been injured following a terror attack in Manchester

Casual Keanu says fame is ‘cool’

Keanu Reeves in a scene from the movie John Wick: Chapter 2.

NOBODY expected much of John Wick when it was released in 2014.

Ariana Grande breaks her silence after fatal blast

According to reports quoting witnesses, a mass emergency evacuation was prompted after explosions were heard at the end of US singer Ariana Grande's concert in the arena.

The entertainment industry is in shock after attack on concert

Pitch Perfect star suing Woman’s Day over ‘liar’ articles

Actor Rebel Wilson outside court on Friday.

REBEL Wilson's career destroyed by grubby campaign, court hears.

Seven Year Switch: The boner to end all boners

Johnny’s outraged over claims he has a cracked boner.

She gulps. Her face says it all.

Bay to star in Hollywood shark thriller ‘Cage Dive’

Cage Dive, written and directed by Gerald Rascionato, is now screening in the United States of America. It had scenes filmed in Hervey Bay.

And our visiting humpback whales also make appearance.

Celebrity sex tapes: Where does all that money go?

Basically, did Paris and Kim earn fortunes from their videos?

One of Maryborough's most historic homes is still for sale

FULL OF HISTORY: Trisha Moulds is owner of the historic Tinana state known as Rosehill. The beautiful home is currently for sale.

It has been the scene of both joy and tragedies over the years.

The face of the Sunshine Coast's overpriced rental crisis

Alyx Wilson had to rent a $385 unit in Currimundi because the market was too competitive for cheaper rental housing. She is now renting a room from friends who own a house in Currimundi, and says its much more affordable.

Young people feel the strain in competitive, expensive rental market

WATCH: Take a tour of a tradie's dream home

5a Bruce Hiskens Court, Norman Gardens, going for $720,000. INSET: Lea Taylor.

Huge block with potential for anything

Deputy Premier makes massive call on controversial sand mine

Aerial view of the proposed Forest Glen sand mine.

BREAKING: State Government makes huge call on Coast sand mine plans

Ready to SELL your property?

Post Your Ad Here!