Third death linked to iconic Australian brand of cheese

ANOTHER food-poisoning death has been linked to an iconic Australian cheese company.

The Victorian health department confirmed on Sunday a 68-year-old man who died from listeriosis in January had eaten a contaminated product from the Jindi's Gippsland factory.

A bacteria outbreak in batches of camembert and brie had already been linked two other deaths and a miscarriage and is believed to be responsible for more than 20 cases of listeriosis.

According to Better Health, Listeria bacteria are most likely to infect cheese, raw vegetables, deli meats and some seafood.

Infection is particularly dangerous for pregnant women, people with immune deficiencies and the elderly.

Early symptoms include fever, headache, tiredness, aches and pains.

Jindi, which also produces cheeses for the Coles and Wattle Valley brands, has voluntarily recalled all products manufactured before January 6.

Cheese dated within the affected period should be thrown out or returned to the supermarket for a refund.

For more information phone 1800 680 175.



Headless body murder accused ‘happy’ after man dismembered

Headless body murder accused ‘happy’ after man dismembered

LINDY Williams claimed ‘violent partner’ had gone overseas and she was getting a...

UPDATE: Tragedy as man dies in Tin Can Bay Rd crash

UPDATE: Tragedy as man dies in Tin Can Bay Rd crash

Emergency workers rush to two serious crashes in the Gympie region

40 years of painting brings Ken full circle

40 years of painting brings Ken full circle

Internationally acclaimed Gympie artist Ken Gailer opens exhibition

Local Partners