Sunshine Coast residents rally in support of burned teenager
UPDATE: SUNSHINE Coast residents have taken to social media to offer their well-wishes to a teenage boy who was badly burned in an incident at Sunrise Beach at the weekend.
Brisbane media has quoted 14-year-old Isaac Stern's brother saying the teenager was doused in fuel and deliberately set alight in an incident on Saturday night.
However, police have said they are still trying to piece together how Isaac came to be set alight and what, if any, accelerant was used.
They have so far been unable to speak with Isaac, who remains in an induced coma at Lady Cilento Children's Hospital in Brisbane.
People posting on The Daily's Facebook page today were clearly shocked at the magnitude of the incident and quick to offer their hopes for a speedy recovery.
"Do hope this boy recovers soon, well done to the young girl who helped him out . Lets hope the culprit or culprits are caught and dealt with accordingly none of this slap on the wrist business. Justice system needs a shake up," commented Vivienne Gibson.
"Sending heart felt well wishes to the little lad and his family," commented Emma Manning.
"What a terrible experience fod alk involved. Sending healing love and strength to the young boy in this incident. Hope he is doing a bit better today," commented Susan Paynter.
"Omg ... what is this world coming to, he's 14," commented Jade Alana Humphries.
You can add your well wishes for Isaac and his family on our Facebook page or in the comments section below.
12.30pm: POLICE are unlikely to be able to interview before the end of this week a 14-year-old boy badly burnt in an incident at Sunshine Beach on Saturday night.
The St Teresa's Catholic College student is in a coma and being ventilated at Lady Cilento Children's Hospital where he was flown by the RACQ Care Flight Helicopter after going to a house for help at around 6.30pm.
Detective Senior Sergeant Phil Hurst said police had a lot of information about the aftermath but nothing about the actual incident that left the boy in flames which have caused burns to 40% of his body.
"He was well alight so something was burning," Det Senior Sgt Hurst said. "It was not just his tee-shirt".
However police are still to confirm if an accelerant was used and if so exactly what it was.
Det Senior Sgt Hurst said the incident could have occurred as a result of Halloween Night stupidity or in the worst case it was a deliberate act.
He re-enforced that without witnesses or being able to talk to the youth there was only speculation about what might have happened.
"There's a chance he was mucking around with other kids and it's understandable they haven't come forward,'' Det Sen Sgt Hurst said.
"We appeal to anyone with information to please contact police."
The Noosa Police Child Protection Investigation Unit is conducting inquiries.
Det Sen Sgt Hurst said the 14-year-old had suffered significant injuries that would have caused excruciating pain but while he remained in intensive care, they were not life threatening.
Medical advice was that the earliest he could be interviewed would be tomorrow but that it was more probable that it would be later in the week before he would be able to speak with police.
The boy attended St Thomas More Primary School before starting high school at St Teresa's Catholic College in Noosaville.
8.45am: A TEENAGE boy doused with fuel and set on fire at Sunrise Beach at the weekend is in a coma at a Brisbane Children's Hospital.
Isaac Stern, 14, is in intensive care at the Lady Cilento Children's Hospital in Brisbane with burns to 40% of his body.
7am: POLICE have called for witnesses amid reports a teenage boy was doused with fuel and set on fire during a horrific Halloween attack on the Sunshine Coast.
The 14-year-old boy remains in intensive care in a Brisbane hospital with burns to 40% of his body after the alleged attack.
His brother has told News Corp that the teenager was deliberately set alight at Sunrise Beach, south of Noosa.
Police have appealed for witnesses to the incident to come forward.
"It's really bad. He was just down the end of the street when he got jumped,'' the brother told The Courier-Mail.
"Three people grabbed him and poured something on him and he was on fire. Next thing you know, he just ran here and we put him out with a hose.
The paper reported a group of 15 to 20 teens were seen in the park on the corner of Lipton St and Ben Lexcen Drive where the incident occurred.
Earlier: Neighbours said they thought they were being caught up in a Halloween prank when they heard the 14-year-old's screams along Lipton St just before 6.30pm Saturday.
But the reality was far worse, with the boy suffering serious burns to his upper body.
It is believed he sought the help of a 17-year-old woman in a nearby unit.
The woman's mother, who did not wish to be named, said her daughter had "saved his life" by thinking quickly.
She did not wish to comment further out of respect for the boy and his family.
Paramedics arrived on the scene around 6.45pm and he was transported by road to the RACQ CareFlight Rescue Helicopter base at the Sunshine Coast Airport and airlifted to the Lady Cilento Children's Hospital.
A hospital spokesperson said the boy was in a stable condition in the intensive care unit.
Sue Nicholson, who lives across the road from where the boy was helped, said she had heard the boy's screams.
"I thought it was a Halloween prank (the noise) going on, but after a while I knew something was wrong," she said.
"By the time I looked out, I saw plenty of people there, so I didn't go out.
"I didn't know at the time what had happened."
Ms Nicholson said she had heard the sound of firecrackers or fireworks being set off earlier on in a nearby street, but did not know if the incidents were connected.
Megh Subedi, who lives next door to the unit where the boy sought help, said he had also heard the screams but by the time he looked outside, he saw the boy crying and receiving water from two girls.
"I saw evidence of the fire, but I didn't see any other people there," he said.
"I tried to ask them what happened, and they said there was a scary incident and didn't mention anything to me.
"The police and ambulance were there in five minutes."
Police are continuing to investigate the circumstances surrounding the incident and have issued a public appeal for anyone with information which may be able to assist the investigation to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.
RESIDENTS in a quiet Sunrise Beach street were given the shock of their lives when they found a boy alight on their doorstep.
Police investigations are continuing after a 14-year-old boy suffered serious burns to his upper body last night.
Emergency services were called to a Lipton St home around 6.45pm after a police media spokesperson said a
teenager had arrived on the property already alight.
He has been airlifted to the Lady Cilento Hospital in a serious condition.
Police are investigating the circumstances surrounding the incident and are appealing for anyone that has any
information which may be able to assist the investigation to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.