Teen saves kelpies from flames that engulfed shed
QUICK thinking by a Greens Creek teenager saved the lives of two kelpies tied to a burning shed yesterday afternoon, but was unable to save tens of thousands of dollars worth of vehicles, tools and machinery.
Bronte Newcombe was home alone about 3pm when fire erupted in her parents' 10-bay shed in Bath Rd, ripping through the structure and quickly destroying everything in its path, including a near new F-550 truck, tractor, car and ride-on mower.
Her dad Andrew was volunteering at the Gympie Show at the time, and her mum Leanne and grandmother had been shopping on the Sunshine Coast for Bronte's deb shoes.
As Leanne was heading back up the driveway she could see the flames leaping off the shed.
But Bronte had already phoned 000 and her father.
Courageous neighbours rushed over to the property, climbed in a rapidly "melting" Landcruiser parked in the shed, hooked it up to the family's caravan and got both vehicles to safety.
The Landcruiser, however, bore the obvious signs of almost going up in flames as it stood parked in the front yard with more than eight fire units, Energex vehicles, police and ambulance.
A philosophical Andrew was just grateful yesterday that Bronte had not tried to tackle the fire herself. The contents of the shed were insured.
The two spooked dogs liberated from the shed were nowhere to be seen, and Andrew asked people to keep an eye out for a black and white kelpie called Lucy, and a red kelpie called Turbo.