Talks on mining subsidence fail

A GROUP of Ipswich residents whose homes were damaged by mine subsidence will take their claims for compensation to the courts after mediation with the State Government failed.

The 23 Collingwood Park families are fighting for compensation after their homes were damaged and became destabilised after old mine shafts gave way in 2008.

The group's legal counsel is Roger Singh, a partner at law firm Shine Lawyers, who said they had been in talks with the government for three days to no avail.

“It has been a complete and utter waste of time. We will now continue to battle on for the residents of Collingwood Park,” Mr Singh said.

“The residents of Collingwood Park community have come away with no answers and no justice.

“It will now be something for the courts to determine.”

Their cases will now be taken to Brisbane's Supreme Court as soon as possible, but Mr Singh said it would be up to the court to determine when the hearing would begin.

Mr Singh said some residents were seeking compensation for the decreasing value of their homes while others wanted the government to buy them out.

This week's mediation sessions came after Shine Lawyers started legal action against the Queensland Government last year.

The State Government in April bought five affected properties in the suburb, bringing the amount of assistance to residents affected by subsidence to almost $10 million. The government said at the time that it had allocated $15.6 million for its response to the subsidence.

Natural Resources, Mines and Energy Minister Stephen Robertson said the government understood some residents involved in this process were disappointment with the outcome.

But Mr Robertson said the government would make no further comment on the mediation process.

“Both the state and plaintiffs in this litigation signed an agreement which binds all parties to keep confidential the details of the mediation process,” he said.



WOOLOOGA FIRE: 'Five more minutes and my house was gone'

premium_icon WOOLOOGA FIRE: 'Five more minutes and my house was gone'

"About five more minutes and the house would have been gone.”

DAY 2: Bushfire wreaks more destruction on Woolooga

premium_icon DAY 2: Bushfire wreaks more destruction on Woolooga

Locals watched on in horror through Thursday.

FIRE STORM: 'I had 40 acres disappear in 15 seconds'

premium_icon FIRE STORM: 'I had 40 acres disappear in 15 seconds'

Woolooga farmer tells of the terror of the approaching fire

Local Partners