Summer Steer, 4, died after swallowing a button-sized battery.
Summer Steer, 4, died after swallowing a button-sized battery.

Summer sent home from hospital after vomiting blood: inquest

"I THOUGHT she was dying,' a clearly nervous but composed Andrea Shoesmith told the State Coroner of the third time her daughter was taken to the Noosa Emergency Department.

Little Summer Steer, who was four-and-a-half had been vomiting blood since the night of June 29, 2013.

She was taken to Noosa Emergency Department by an ambulance around midnight as she has started vomiting at home.

RELATED: SUMMER'S MUM FIRST TO GIVE EVIDENCE DURING INQUEST INTO DAUGHTER'S DEATH

She was first discharged after seeing a doctor for "around 15 minutes".

"He said it was normal, she had a nose bleed and swallowed the blood and vomited it up," Ms Shoesmith said.

Amanda Shoesmith has told of her heartbreak of losing Summer. (file image).
Amanda Shoesmith has told of her heartbreak of losing Summer. (file image). Iain Curry

But when Summer vomited "bright red blood" outside the front doors of the Emergency Department, the doctor "scooped her up" and put her under observation.

She was discharged again at 6.15am with a bag for vomiting and a tablet to control it.

RELATED:

Ms Shoesmith had already seen her Tewantin GP at least twice prior as she had been complaining of a stomach ache, had a temperature and she had started noticing "black poos".

Her doctor had advised she had a stomach bug and also sent her home.

Summer spent several hours at home after being discharged on June 29 before she vomited again.

This time, Summer got up and vomited "bright red blood" and then she "collapsed".

Summer was transferred by helicopter from Noosa to Brisbane.

Only at this point was it realised Summer had swallowed a small Lithium battery.

She died on June 30.  The inquest continues.

 



'Just doing our jobs': Gympie fireys shrug off hero title

premium_icon 'Just doing our jobs': Gympie fireys shrug off hero title

'We're happy to be called dedicated and dependable'

$3m CBD project could get canned

premium_icon $3m CBD project could get canned

Councillor calls for other options to be put on table.

Watch out Gympie, venomous snakes are now on the move

premium_icon Watch out Gympie, venomous snakes are now on the move

An expert says she's seen more venomous snakes than ever this year.

Local Partners