UPDATE: Car chase investigations continue
WHAT WE KNOW:
- The vehicle was stolen from Mackay Airport
- The vehicle was first seen by police on the Bruce Highway south of Rockhampton.
- It drove north into Gladstone Rd and was allegedly doing in excess of 120km in a 60 zone
- Police were not given authority to pursue the vehicle in their cars
- Another police unit on Gladstone Rd near the Information Centre witnessed the vehicle turn off onto Ross St after it weaved in and out of traffic and cut motorists off.
- Police located the stolen vehicle at the roundabout near the kiosk in the Rockhampton Botanical Gardens
- Police chased two suspects on foot through streets in The Range and through yards of houses in Eton and Harrow St
- Police have taken two people into custody after a foot pursuit north to the Rockhampton Golf Course
- Police are still looking for two more suspects believed to have been in the stolen vehicle
UPDATE FRIDAY 7.30AM: POLICE are still investigating the whereabouts of the other occupants of vehicle that was allegedly stolen from the Mackay airport yesterday morning.
The vehicle was clocked doing 120kmh in a 60kmh zone yesterday morning.
A man and woman were arrested after a pursuit near the Botanic Gardens.
6.35PM: TWO people remain at large following a dramatic police chase through suburban Rockhampton streets this morning.
While those two fugitives managed to escape on foot, Rockhampton police arrested a man and a woman in their 30s after a pursuit in streets near the Botanic Gardens.
The drama began before 10.50am when their vehicle, a 2015 silver Kia Rio hatch with license plates of 508 VPG allegedly stolen from the Mackay Airport, was clocked in South Rockhampton at speeds in excess of 120kmh in a 60kmh zone.
A police patrol on Gladstone Rd witnessed the vehicle weave in and out of traffic and cut off other road users on multiple occasions.
Police followed the car to the roundabout at the Rockhampton Botanic Gardens on Ann St about 11am where they found it abandoned and gave chase.
Four suspects took off on foot through the area near the golf course.
Multiple police vehicles and officers swarmed to the area where two suspects were quickly detained.
11.10am: TWO people have been taken into custody after two suspects ran from police in The Range after dumping a stolen vehicle.
Two suspects were running from police in streets and running through yards in Eton St and Harrow St, north of the Rockhampton Golf Course.
It is believed a male in his 30s and a female in her 30s have been taken into custody.
There are still two offenders that police are looking for.
The vehicle was stolen from the Mackay Airport.
11am: POLICE have found a stolen vehicle earlier seen doing in excess of 120km/hour in a 60 zone in Rockhampton.
Reports indicate it has been spotted at the roundabout near the kiosk at the Botanic Gardens.
Patrols are headed to the area to search for the vehicle and people that were in the vehicle.
The silver 2015 Kia Rio hatchback was first sighted on the Bruce Highway south of Rockhampton headed towards the Beef Capital.
Reports indicate there were three or four people in the vehicle.
10.50am: POLICE have pulled back from pursuing a stolen vehicle travelling at speeds in excess of 120km in a 60km zone.
Reports indicate police first sighted the vehicle on the Bruce Highway, south of Rockhampton, travelling north.
It is believed there are at least three people are in the vehicle.
Police were not given permission to pursue the vehicle through Rockhampton streets via car.
A second police unit located out the front of the Information Centre on Gladstone Rd witnessed the vehicle weave in and out of traffic and cut motorists off.
It was last sighted driving along Ross St in The Range.
Reports indicate the driver of the vehicle was weaving in and out of traffic, speeding and cutting motorists off.
The vehicle is a silver 2015 Kia Rio hatchback.
Police are now patrolling The Range and Allenstown streets looking for the vehicle.