A Gympie fireman at the scene Tuesday evening.
A Gympie fireman at the scene Tuesday evening. Craig Warhurst

Spark triggers stove fire

COOKING by fire was not what a Norman St household had in mind on Monday evening when an electrical fault ruined dinner.

Gympie firefighters were called to the home when an electrical spark ignited flames at the back of the stove.

It was believed the cook didn't realise the stove was alight at first and once it became obvious the only option was to evacuate and phone 000.

Station officer Cameron Nicol said another crew attended the fire and as far as he was aware, it was extinguished without causing a great deal of property damage.

He said electrical appliances that were old or poorly wired were a real danger and offered the following advice in case of an electrical fire.

Never use water on an electrical fire and don't take any risks with your safety - get out, stay out and call 000. Only if it is safe, switch off the power at the fuse box - sometimes this can stop the fire immediately.

Gympie Times


UPDATE: Skydiver airlifted after music festival accident

UPDATE: Skydiver airlifted after music festival accident

QAS crews are on the way to the scene at Mitchell Creek Rd.

Firefighter: Woolooga the 'worst conditions I have seen'

premium_icon Firefighter: Woolooga the 'worst conditions I have seen'

Gympie officer reflects on three days of carnage.

Man seriously injured, airlifted after motorbike crash

Man seriously injured, airlifted after motorbike crash

Man seriously injured in a motorbike crash

Local Partners