Snake bite no worries for Mitchell
MITCHELL Kuether isn’t letting a brown snake stop him from enjoying the great outdoors, despite being bitten by one last weekend.
The 18-year-old was setting up camp at Teewah Beach, near Double Island Point last Friday night when he felt “something weird” under his foot.
“I stood on something and it hit me – I thought it was a stick,” Mitchell said.
“Then I felt it again and I shone the torch at my feet.”
That’s when Mitchell saw an 80cm snake had latched on to his foot.
“I shook my foot wildly and it fell off,” he said.
Mitch and a mate then captured the brown coloured snake for identification purposes and wrapped it in a T-shirt before heading back to Tin Can Bay to the ambulance.
Mitch said he felt nauseous and a bit paranoid.
“I didn’t know what was going on,” he said.
The ambulance bandaged his foot tightly and delivered him to the Gympie Hospital, where antivenene was administered.
“The doctor said I was lucky ... lucky it wasn’t fully grown and that it didn’t envenom me more,” Mitchell said.
After spending 14 hours in hospital he was discharged.
After the ordeal, he says he still didn’t mind snakes.
“I’d rather a snake any day to a spider – I hate spiders.”