THE trial of a former Tiaro man accused of sexually abusing his stepson began in the Maryborough District Court this week.
The man, who cannot be named under Queensland law, has pleaded not guilty to three charges of maintaining an unlawful relationship, indecent dealing with a child and permitting sodomy by a child.
All three charges are alleged to have taken place between August 2008 and December 2010, when the child was between 14 and 15 years of age.
On Tuesday, the court heard from a number of witnesses including the boy's parents and grandparents.
His grandfather told the court he found out about the alleged incidents when the boy came to visit during the school holidays in December 2010.
"He said (the accused) would let him stay up late at night and watch TV with him," the grandfather said.
"He said (the accused) had been molesting him ... exposed himself ... that he had pounced on him.
He urged his grandson to go to the nearby police station, the court heard, but the boy did not do so until the following month when he revealed the allegations to his father.
His father told the court he was "fuming" and pressed the "nervous" boy for details throughout the day before taking him to the police station.
The boy's father said his son did not say whether the accused man succeeded in his attempts to molest him.
The trial before Judge Brian Devereaux continues.