News

School fire caused after gurney left to run dry

Fire fighters say a small fire at Two Mile school this morning could have been a lot worse
Fire fighters say a small fire at Two Mile school this morning could have been a lot worse Bev Lacey

A GYMPIE school fire this morning caused light to medium smoke damage to a classroom, but could have been a lot worse, a Queensland Fire and Emergency Service officer said.

"We received a Triple-O call about 5.30am, telling us of a structural fire at Two Mile school," Acting Station Officer Andrew Goffin said.

"Officer saw light smoke coming from a classroom.

"A pressure cleaner had caught alight and molten plastic had set fire to the floor lining," he said.

Police said they also attended the blaze. It appeared the gurney had run dry and the motor had overheated, causing an electrical fire.

Mr Goffin said there was minor damage to the classroom floor only and light to medium smoke damage to the classroom.

Gympie Times


PHOTOS: Pitch perfect day for Gympie cricket

Cricket - A Grade Valleys vs Wests - Anthony Brogden Wests

Highlights from this weekend's action.

No worries; Bruce has the problem evolved

INQUISITIVE: Little Miss5 got a lesson in evolution form her dad Bruce Devereaux...the long way around. Photo: Tracey Devereaux.

A moment where you educate your kids about something you understand

48 years on, Mary St florist legacy blossoms with new branch

IN BLOOM: With Branch and Blossom, Jan Jones is following in the footsteps of almost 50 years of florist history in Mary St.

Jan Jones is embracing history with her new store.

Local Partners