Presidents outline restart dates for Coast football
THE project restart date for thousands of Sunshine Coast junior and senior footballers across multiple competitions has been revealed, and for some, it’s sooner than you think.
While the “go button” cannot be pushed until game governing bodies get the federal and state approval, the plans are in place for a restart.
Sunshine Coast Football Association chairman Chris Dunk is hopeful of a July return.
Dunk said about five different scenarios are being looked at with the new competition to be a minimum of one full round.
“We realise we can’t just start playing without any form of training, but hopefully we are playing by July 1,” he said.
Dunk said he had been in contact with all the local clubs to keep them in the loop regarding the latest developments.
He said the majority had been training at home where possible.
“All the clubs are being proactive with fitness. My grandkids are quite keen to kick a ball with their mates again,” he said.
“Our numbers are about 5000-6000 players: the same as last year.
“But with the amount of people keen to play, it might even increase.”
But for Sunshine Coast Church Soccer Association, president Tim Wolens has an exact date, should the code get the green light.
In an email to parents and players, Wolens said June 6 or “sometime after” was the target.
“With the ever-increasing positive news and information coming from the Federal Government, our focus is to get our kids back on to the field playing soccer,” the email read.
“Going forward, the association will be assessing the situation weekly. Any commencement of competition will be subject to the latest health advice.
“We have determined the season needs to be completed by mid-September which will result in a change to the structure of our regular competition.
“Refunds will be calculated accordingly if a full season cannot be completed.”