Possum cause of blackout
AN unlucky possum may have been the cause of a blackout on Monday night in Gympie.
An Energex spokesperson said wildlife, most likely a possum, was found in power lines near Cassia Court and Shields Street, after nearly 2000 customers lost power just after 7pm.
Residents near the Gympie Cemetery, in Golf Links estate, Fairview Park estate, Glen Eden estate and others all reported loss of power.
Residents near Cassia Court and Shields Street reported seeing sparks and small explosions near 7pm.
Other residents reported power surges, with one saying the power flicked on and off three times before cutting out.
Two Energex crews responded to calls and removed the animal.
But it had damaged some equipment, which needed to be repaired before power could be restored.
The Energex crews were able to restore power to 1400 customers by about 8.40pm.
Another five per cent were brought online by about 10pm.
The rest of the customers who were still without power were able to blow out their candles by 11.20pm.