Gas workers presented to the Goondiwindi Hospital after being exposed to a deadly herbicide.
Gas workers presented to the Goondiwindi Hospital after being exposed to a deadly herbicide.

Workers released after chemical poison fear

UPDATE: Workers involved in yesterday's Paraquat scare have been released from the Goondiwindi Hospital.

"Yesterday, Goondiwindi Hospital treated 12 gas workers who were working on a private property and were exposed to the herbicide spray Paraquat 250," Darling Downs Hospital and Health Service Goondiwindi director of nursing Katie Jefford said.

"All workers underwent a full decontamination process, were closely monitored for several hours and released yesterday afternoon."

EARLIER: A dozen people have been exposed to the potentially deadly herbicide, Paraquat.

The gas workers from Goondiwindi were taken to the local hospital yesterday at about noon.

The Queensland Ambulance Service was made aware of the incident, however, did not take the group to the hospital.

Instead the group transported themselves to the Goondiwindi Hospital.

It was placed into a code brown state of emergency.

Paraquat is a widely in Australia as herbicide. It is banned in 32 countries.

The chemical is used on Australian farms to control grasses and broadleaf weeds.

In November, 2012, 55 year-old Howard Reck of Lynford died after ingesting a small amount of Paraquat.

He was filling a back-pump spray with Paraquat when the unit cracked spraying the toxic chemical over his face.

Yesterday afternoon, the Goondiwindi workers were in a stable condition and most of them were expected to be released from hospital.



We're for you: The Gympie Times commitment

We're for you: The Gympie Times commitment

'We may be small but the quality is undoubted'

DIANNE RECOVERED: Bodies may be inside ill-fated trawler

DIANNE RECOVERED: Bodies may be inside ill-fated trawler

Dianne towed into Bundy port for investigations

Bright, sharp look to our online news

Bright, sharp look to our online news

From this afternoon, you will notice a cleaner, more modern look

Local Partners