FRUSTRATED parents have taken to social media about the handling of an alleged incident in the toilet involving two Year 3 students at a primary school in the Bundaberg region last week.
FRUSTRATED parents have taken to social media about the handling of an alleged incident in the toilet involving two Year 3 students at a primary school in the Bundaberg region last week. Contributed

Parents criticise handling of alleged school toilet incident

FRUSTRATED parents have taken to social media about the handling of an alleged incident in the toilet involving two Year 3 students at a primary school in the Bundaberg region last week.

Police have investigated the incident.

Queensland legislation means anyone aged under 10 is unable to be deemed criminally responsible.

A family member of one of those involved in the incident said the boy, his brother and a cousin had all been pulled out of the school because they were not satisfied with how the situation had been handled.

The family met with education officials on Monday.

The situation has raised alarm bells with parents expressing their concerns on social media.

Two posts, viewed by the NewsMail, have generated more than 150 comments. It appears one of the posts had been removed yesterday afternoon.

A spokesman from the Department of Education said the department continued to work closely with police and child safety officers in relation to the alleged incident.

"The alleged incident involved two students and was immediately reported to police and the Department of Child Safety," the spokesman said in a statement.

"The parents of these students are aware of the issue.

"A letter went home to all parents last week and asked the school community to respect the sensitivity and confidentiality of the matter.

"The Department of Education considers it would be inappropriate to provide any level of detail around the alleged incident while the matter is investigated."

He said the school had treated the matter seriously since it first became aware of the alleged incident.

"Counselling and support has been offered to students and families affected by the incident," the spokesman said.

"There is no higher priority for the Department than the safety and welfare of all students."

The family member of one the children allegedly involved claimed the child was taken to hospital, suffering bleeding from the genital area.

Bundaberg Inspector Pat Swindells said police were aware of the matter.

"The matter has been dealt with by the Child Protection Investigation Unit and other welfare organisations," he said.



Boy, 15, sentenced over One Mile school fire

premium_icon Boy, 15, sentenced over One Mile school fire

'If you were 18 ... when you did this, you would be going to jail.'

Gympie MP confronted by eerie scene of NQ floods

premium_icon Gympie MP confronted by eerie scene of NQ floods

The MP called the scene 'confronting.'