Panic after girl swallows pill
MICHELLE Bailey will always check carpets and bedding when holidaying after a scare which could have taken her daughter's life.
The Rockhampton mother of five was settling down at night with her family after celebrating Australia Day when her youngest, two-year-old Marli, started vomiting.
Michelle was sitting on the carpet floor comforting Marli when she found a round, white 100mg pill.
It wasn't until she showed her older daughter, who told her there were more in the other room, that she started to panic that Marli might have ingested one or more of the tablets.
She said she feared the medication could have taken her daughter's life.
Marli was taken by ambulance to the Yeppoon Hospital where she was checked and monitored for a few hours.
"If she had eaten more she would have gone to sleep and not woken up," she said.
"The doctor said it (the pill) was to slow down the heart rate."
Michelle said Marli was put on a heart monitor and her heart rate was slow, but it returned to normal shortly after.
While she couldn't recall the name of the pill, she thought it may have been used as a party drug and was left in the room by young adults.
"I don't think it would have been an older person as I found more than one in different rooms," she said.
"The (motel) definitely was not prepared for the onslaught of people. A lot of the rooms weren't ready so cleaning staff were run off their feet."
She said teenagers, even those aged 18, should not be allowed to hire rooms.
A spokesman from the motel said the company did all it could to help the family and ensure they were safe.
The family were offered a room for another night and lunch.