Adrian Welch started a fire inside his father’s shed on Cootharaba Road when he flicked his lighter to see what he was doing while draining fuel from a car to light a bonfire.
Adrian Welch started a fire inside his father’s shed on Cootharaba Road when he flicked his lighter to see what he was doing while draining fuel from a car to light a bonfire. Renee Pilcher

Son scolded for burning down shed

SONIA Welch is not alone in thinking her brother is an idiot.

He himself agreed and for that reason, Adrian, 18, was too ashamed to face his father, whose shed he burned down on Wednesday night.

Glaring at Adrian from across the property yesterday, Tony Welch told The Gympie Times “idiot” was not a strong enough word for his son.

Gone up in flames were all his “shedly” possessions - a couple of motorbikes, a beach buggy, welding equipment and tools - just about everything you could think of that would be kept in a typical storage shed.

Admittedly, it was “not the brightest thing” Adrian had ever done. He had been draining fuel from an old car inside the shed to light a bonfire and while doing so, he flicked a lighter to see what he was doing.

The backyard shed on Cootharaba Road was just a crispy shell after it was gutted by fire at around 8pm on Wednesday night.

Police called the fire an accident, which was a relief to all involved yesterday, however Adrian Welch still had his father’s wrath to face.

Just two weeks prior, Adrian and his girlfriend moved most of their things out of the granny flat attached to the shed but lost a Honda Integra with a brand new stereo system, a television and bedding.

They returned to the property to have a birthday party and decided to get a bonfire going to celebrate. The idea to take fuel from his car backfired on him and Adrian was “lucky” to escape relatively uninjured.

Firefighters battled to control the blaze for about half-an-hour and managed to keep the fire from spreading to the next door upholstery business. The Gympie Ambulance was first on the scene and said no one was seriously injured.

Adrian said one of his friends ended up with surface burns on his arms and he had copped burns on one of his fingers – “the worst injury that happened,” he reckoned.

“I was under my car unscrewing a fuel cap when I used a lighter to see what I was doing,” Adrian admitted.

“It was definitely not the brightest thing I’ve ever done.”

Sister Sonia said the fire went up “really quick”.

“I was driving past and thought at first that the bonfire had got really big. I had to wake up Dad and tell him his shed was on fire," she said.

“I think my bro is an idiot”

Adrian was “too ashamed” to face his father yesterday and was bracing himself for a lecture worse than any police officer could give.

Gympie Times


Ron Owen: Lead poisoning fears at shooting range bogus

premium_icon Ron Owen: Lead poisoning fears at shooting range bogus

Gun club dispells fears lead from shells is leaching into water

Gympie, rain could be closer than you think

premium_icon Gympie, rain could be closer than you think

But first, some cold, cold mornings.

NRLW Broncos inspire Gympie's young females

premium_icon NRLW Broncos inspire Gympie's young females

'We will be working off this momentum'

Local Partners