THE State and Commonwealth Governments have finally agreed on increased assistance to be made available to flood-stricken communities in Queensland.
Following public negotiations and finger pointing, Treasurer Tim Nicholls announced on Friday afternoon his government and their Federal counterparts had come to an agreement.
The National Partnership Agreement has been extended from 2010-2011 to cover the wake of the recent ex-cyclone Oswald disaster.
The agreement will allow flood-prone infrastructure to be built to a higher standard and streamline category C funding under the Natural Disaster Relief and Recovery Arrangements.
"I look forward to better funding arrangements being finalised within the next two weeks," Mr Nicholls said.
"I wrote to Deputy Prime Minister Wayne Swan last week requesting an exemption from changes made to the NDRRA late last year and I am very pleased the Gillard Government has agreed to several of our requests.
"Mr Nicholls said the NPA would allow the State Government to start works worth more than $1 million without waiting for approval from the Federal Government. Local government day labour will also be eligible for NDRRA funding.
"This arrangement will enable councils to carry out reconstruction works at no cost to ratepayers, while also saving the State and Commonwealth Governments money," Mr Nicholls said.