Dump court battle, help disabled
PETER Wellington has called on the Queensland Government to dump its high court challenge to the mining resources rent tax and put the money into a National Disability Insurance Scheme trial in Gympie.
The independent member for Nicklin told parliament on Tuesday night that the government could also fund its $20 million contribution to the national trial by putting the For Sale sign up on properties it owns in the Mary Valley.
He attacked calls from LNP members to take the money out of state funding for his electorate saying the planned and justified provision of disability access to Nambour Railway Station had already been scrapped.
Mr Wellington's call came as national lobby group GetUp launched a campaign pushing the introduction of NDIS and demanding Queensland takes part in trials scheduled for towns across Australia.
David Dangerfield, head of Sunshine Coast disability sector service provider Compass, said yesterday, Campbell Newman's refusal to take part in the trials was only one part of a national problem.
But he also questioned the new government's funding priorities saying it had provided $80 million to Queensland Racing but couldn't find $20 million for the disabled.
Mr Dangerfield said he was not sure the new premier fully understood the enormity of the scheme which if eventually funded by a Medicare-style levy would protect not only those with disabilities now but every Australian who acquired a disability through accident, injury or illness.
Mr Dangerfield said Mr Newman was on the right track in cutting a bloated bureaucracy but should be doing it from the top with the Department of Communities having 33 regional directors.