M'boro rejected for race re-run
MARYBOROUGH Sporting Car Club is seeking legal advice after being snubbed of a chance to re-run the 2012 Australian Speedway Sidecar Championship.
Motorcycling Australia granted Kurri Kurri Speedway Club the rights to host the prestigious event, which was postponed last month after Maryborough Speedway track was deemed unsafe by a Motorcycling Australia official.
The national governing body of motorcycle sport said it was a "board decision" to allocate the championship to Kurri Kurri, even though Maryborough Speedway was considered.
Maryborough Sporting Car Club believed they deserved to re-run the lucrative event as it wasn't their fault the championship in May was cancelled.
After a successful race meeting the previous night, about 1500 people attended the second night of the event hoping to see high-speed action.
Instead, they watched a grader groom the dirt track for more than three hours.
Spectators were offered a refund on the night.
Mystery still surrounded why the championship was abandoned.
Motorcycling Australia launched an investigation days after, however they would not disclose its findings.
The organisation said: "Motorcycling Australia will communicate directly with the club, not publicly, in relation to these matters".
Disgruntled spectators who contacted the Chronicle claimed the track was over-watered before racing.
A Maryborough Sporting Car Club representative said they were still waiting for a response from Motorcycling Australia as to why they were not allocated the re-run.
They were now exploring their legal options.
Maryborough Speedway's next event, the Wide Bay Bike Bonanza, was scheduled for Saturday, July 7.