Man stung by deadly stonefish, rushed to hospital

BREAKING: Lifeguards at Bulcock Beach in Caloundra have treated a man who was stung by a stonefish this morning.

The 27-year-old man is being transported to hospital via the Queensland Ambulance Service.

It's Surf Life Saving Queensland's third reported stonefish sting in two weeks.

The backs of stonefish are lined with spines that release a venomous toxin making it the most dangerous fish in the world.

 

A stonefish was recently caught by a fisherman at Caloundra.



Photo Contributed
A stonefish was recently caught by a fisherman at Caloundra. Photo Contributed Contributed

Its venom causes severe pain and swelling and can kill tissues, stop your arms and legs from functioning and put your body into shock.

If stung medical attention should be sought quickly as the sting is serious and can be fatal.



$3m CBD project could get canned

premium_icon $3m CBD project could get canned

Councillor calls for other options to be put on table.

Watch out Gympie, venomous snakes are now on the move

premium_icon Watch out Gympie, venomous snakes are now on the move

An expert says she's seen more venomous snakes than ever this year.

5 things Gympie council will discuss today

premium_icon 5 things Gympie council will discuss today

Goomeri's facilities and council cash reserves also on the list.

Local Partners