Man missing in flood waters

A MAN is still missing following a dramatic rescue attempt which saw the Swift Water Rescue boat overturned in flooded Widgee Creek on Sunday morning.

The man, 27, was one of two men and a woman travelling in a van which was washed into the swollen creek sometime around 3am.

The other man was rescued soon after emergency services personnel arrived at the scene at 3.58am, but the woman spent five hours clinging to a tree before she could be brought to safety.

Gympie police Senior Sergeant Graeme Reeves said the woman was being cared for at the Rural Fire Brigade hall at Glastonbury.

Sen Sgt Reeves said the Queensland Fire and Rescue Service's Swift Water Rescue boat lost its gear when it overturned during the rescue.

He said a second crew was brought in to continue the rescue.

"Details about the rescue are a bit sketchy because emergency service personnel are still out at Glastonbury and can't get back but the rescue involved QFRS Swift Water Rescue team, SES personnel and police.

"There are 12 firies, two ambos, three police and the rescued female, as well as two Glastonbury residents who self-evacuated from their home, currently at the fire hall.

"Conditions are too dangerous to helicopter them out."

Three other people have been rescued from the roof of their house at Sexton.

Sen Sgt Reeves said police got the call from the Sexton Rd residents at 8.17am and the man, woman and primary school child were rescued at 10.20am.

Rescuers have been unable to reach two Widgee families who have requested evacuation.

Sen Sgt Reeves said a man, woman and primary school-aged child at Janke Rd called for help, saying water was lapping their house, but emergency services were unable to reach them.

It was the same, he said, for a family in Power Rd.

"We can't get to them and we now have no phone contact with them," he said.

Gympie Times

USC Gympie numbers on the rise

USC Gympie numbers on the rise

Over 100 new students attend official Orientation program.

Local Partners