Man on drug charges ordered to stay away from Toowoomba
A MAN facing a host of drug-related charges has been released on bail on condition he stays away from the Garden City.
Wayne Andrew Garrett, 30, was charged with eight offences including supplying and possession dangerous drugs following his arrest in the Toowoomba on December 30 last year.
On Thursday during his bail application, Brisbane Supreme Court heard Garrett has a long criminal history littered with drug-related offences after becoming hooked on meth.
Defence barrister Stephen Kissick said Garrett was not in a show cause position and was only applying for bail in the higher court after being refused in a lower court.
He said bail was initially refused due to his persistent offending.
"The prosecutor and magistrate in Toowoomba convinced themselves that my client was in a show cause position when he clearly was not," he said.
"If he got off the drugs it would certainly help his cause.
"He only goes to Toowoomba to get on the drugs and more often than not finds himself in trouble as a result."
Crown prosecutor Shelley Francis said the Crown accepted Garrett was not in a show cause position and did not oppose the application as long as stringent bail conditions were met.
Chief Justice Tim Carmody granted Garrett's release on condition he live in Brisbane, not travel to Toowoomba, undergo drug rehabilitation and submit to random drug tests.
The matter will be back before Toowoomba Magistrates Court on April 22.