Man dies after being served detergent instead of wine

A MAN has died after he asked for a glass of white wine in a cafe and was accidentally served dishwasher detergent.

According to local paper El Periódico Mediterraneo, Spanish Police are investigating and the café owner has been arrested.

Andres Lorente, 50, felt a burning sensation after drinking the glass of what he thought was wine on Sunday afternoon at Bar Raconet in the Spanish region of Castellón.

Medical staff rushed to the scene to attempt to resuscitate him.

However, the divorced father of two died from major internal burns in Comarcal de Vinaròs Hospital.

According to Spanish news source The Local Es, the lethal liquid "had been stored in an empty bottle of wine and mistakenly been put in the fridge by a member of staff."



PHOTOS: Campers keen with 8 sleeps left before Gympie Muster

premium_icon PHOTOS: Campers keen with 8 sleeps left before Gympie Muster

Campers are filing in to the Amamoor Creek State Forest grounds.

Meet the Gympie young gun cuing up for the open men's team

premium_icon Meet the Gympie young gun cuing up for the open men's team

Being young and competitive gives him options

How Australia can have the 'world's cheapest power'

premium_icon How Australia can have the 'world's cheapest power'

Uranium, coal, gas and renewables all in the mix - O'Brien

Local Partners