Man accused of torturing and assaulting dad denied bail
A MARYBOROUGH man accused of torturing his father for days has been denied bail.
Paul Charles Doyle appeared in the Maryborough Magistrates Court on Tuesday for a committal mention.
The 43-year-old man is charged with three counts of assault, one count of assault while armed and one count of torture from June 14 to June 17 this year.
The court heart the alleged victim was Doyle's dad.
Doyle alleged his father abused him and his brother at a young age.
Doyle's lawyer said he had been nothing short of a model prisoner throughout his time in custody and said medical advice suggested the complainant's injuries were superficial.
Police prosecutor Sergeant Kathryn Stagoll said it was highly likely there would be contact between Doyle and the alleged victim if he was released.
"The concern is the more recent history, he has a fail to appear and a breach of a suspended sentence," she said.
Magistrate Graham Hillman said granting the man bail would be an unacceptable risk.
"There is nothing stopping him from returning to his old ways ... the risk is too great to the community," he said.
Mr Hillman quoted police reports in his decision to refuse bail.
The court heard Doyle was alleged to have said, "I've been waiting 40 years for this ... I've come here to kill you," and threatened to cut off the complainants fingers.
He will appear before the district court at a date yet to be advised.