Making it big in the US
SHE'S got the look and she's got the skills - but who is she?
Sonia Carroll is a former Mackay girl who is making it big in the US as an actress and producer and she's proof that anything is possible.
Ms Carroll found herself drawn to the stage in Mackay at a young age before leaving to study in Australia and London for the past eight years.
"I have always lived in Mackay, grew up there, as have my four younger brothers and sisters.
"My (close) family lives in East and West Mackay, along with my nephews, cousins, aunts and uncles.
"After returning from London in late 2009, I started focusing very heavily on film acting in early 2010 and have made a marked achievement in 2011 by securing the lead role in quite a few short films and more recently feature films."
Last year, Ms Carroll starred as the lead actress in five short films, including Tobi, which will be filmed mid-year.
She has also tried her hand at producing and presenting and is the Queensland host for a USA/LA-based Sports 'n' Entertainment TV web channel, which stream events from various parts of the world in the US.
"My end goal is to be acting full-time in feature films in the USA and I would love to be able to watch one at Birch Carroll and Coyle in Mackay - that would be really special.
"I am currently working on my goal every day, be it my accent, private acting coaching or marketing package.
"It's a lot of hard work to break into the industry but it is worth it as I have wanted this for a long time.
Ms Carroll said she visits her family in Mackay as often as she can, with her most recent trip in September last year for her sister's wedding.
"I really love Mackay because it is a part of me; it's where I grew up, where my family is, where all my childhood memories are and where my heart is.
"I do miss it when I am away too long.
"Every time I fly into Mackay it always feels like coming home."
SOME OF SONIA'S ACHIEVEMENTS
- Unknown (pre-production - 2013)
- Montenegro (pre-production - 2012)
- High Tea (lead actress) 2010
- Noir Destiny's Web - Lead (pre-production - 2012)
- Why you'll love it series (2011-2012)
- London UK RI:SE Morning Show (2005) Self / Guest. Channel 4 London
- Surfers Paradise TV commercial (lead actress) Gold Coast, Tourism Australia
- She has produced three of her own films and is co-producing on two other films this year
- Learn more about Sonia Carroll by visiting www.soniacarroll.com