Kitchen fire safety a priority
THE Queensland Fire and Rescue Service has urged Gympie region residents to keep safety in mind when working in the kitchen this winter.
North Coast Region assistant commissioner Ray Eustace said many structural fires started in and around cooking equipment.
“Kitchen fires can start quickly,” he said.
“Not watching a frying pan or leaving the oven on can quickly involve the whole house with fire.”
Ass Comm Eustace said many structural fires involved food or oil catching alight.
“People don’t realise that heated oil in frying pans can ignite in seconds, and flames can quickly spread to curtains and involve the whole house with fire. This can happen in minutes.
“Fortunately in most cases, quick thinking by residents and hard work by fire fighters has contained the damage to the area of origin or immediately around the area of origin.”
Ass Comm Eustace said a practical way for residents to protect themselves from kitchen fires was by having a fire blanket handy and knowing how to use it.
“By simply folding the fire blanket over your hands to protect them from getting burnt and placing the blanket across the fire you can rob the fire of its oxygen source,” he said.
“Seeing your home go up in flames can mean losing everything.”
By following a few easy steps, you can stay safe this winter:
- Install a fire blanket in your kitchen and know how to use it safely;
- Never put water on a cooking fire which may contain oil;
- Switch off electrical appliances when not in use;
- Have older electrical equipment checked by a certified electrician at regular intervals;
- Make sure you change your smoke alarm batteries regularly;
- Keep a clear space of one metre around heaters;
- Check and clear the clothes dryer filter before every load;
- Make sure you have a fire evacuation plan