Garry McIntosh, always willing to help.
Garry McIntosh, always willing to help. Linda Gerns

Loss of arm didn't stop him

GARRY Victor McIntosh, known by friends and relatives as Macca or Joe, lost his battle with cancer March 2.

Garry spent most of his life in Gympie. Born in 1950 to Keith and Ivy McIntosh, he spent his childhood years growing up with his two sisters Faye and Jennifer on the dairy farm at Langshaw.

He attended Pie Creek and Gympie South primary schools, then moved on to Gympie State High School.

After leaving school he worked on the farm, and then at Batsons Garage.

Tragedy struck four months before his 21st birthday when he lost his arm in a car accident. After rehabilitation he worked at Madills, selling cars, but this was not his lot. He delivered mail to Glastonbury and Widgee for several years, which meant early mornings and driving several hundreds of kilometres on a weekly basis.

Then he bought a prawn trawler which he worked for a couple of years before starting a seafood delivery service, delivering as far as Charleville. He got to know a lot of farming people on his trips and ended up delivering parcels for them from farm to farm at no cost and making lots of friends along the way.

He also bought and sold cattle with his good mate Keith Gate. A good friend, Stewy Mackay, then offered him the opportunity of a sandblasting business which he took on readily. To see this man operate with one arm was amazing. He would drag the hose over his right shoulder and spend his days sandblasting. This job was hard work with two arms, but he managed with one.

Garry was a supporting member of his beloved football team, Wanderers. He'd played football at school and for some time after but his accident put a stop to that.

He spent 16 years sandblasting and, after the death of his father in 1991, he and his mum moved to Bribie Island to be closer to his sister Jennifer, her husband Gordon and their family.

He then decided to get his taxi licence and went to Brisbane driving cabs at night. Driving in Brisbane is a nightmare at any time but coming straight from Gympie to this was no mean feat. It seemed driving was Garry's passion. After several years they moved to Redcliffe to be closer to the love of his life, Linda.

He was diagnosed with cancer in 2008. After treatment he returned to his driving and was given the all clear in October 2011, but sadly the cancer returned with a vengeance and he lost his battle on March 2.

His funeral was held on March 6 in Gympie but many friends and family could not get there because the Bruce Hwy was cut by flood waters. A service was held in Redcliffe later so all could pay their respects.

Garry will be greatly missed by his friends and family. He was a mountain of a man in more ways than one. Since his death his family has told how he helped many with disabilities overcome their fears.

Gympie Times

I found dead partner's torso in house, woman told cops

premium_icon I found dead partner's torso in house, woman told cops

Lindy Yvonne Williams denies murder, admits to corpse interference

Drive safely, Monkland St and Mary St traffic lights are out

Drive safely, Monkland St and Mary St traffic lights are out

GYMPIE police are pleading with motorists to drive with caution.

Local Partners