Man jailed after violent attack

A MAN attacked two bouncers and left his sister’s boyfriend in hospital with a broken jaw during a series of violent rages, a court was told.

Benjamin Harry Archie Gallaher, 20, of Gympie, punched a nightclub bouncer in the face on September 13, 2009, after being refused entry to the venue. Police prosecutor Senior Constable Fiona Ward told Bundaberg Magistrates Court the security officer knew Gallaher was banned for previous conduct at the Gympie nightclub.

Gallaher began abusing the bouncer, who told him to “call it a night and go home”. But Gallaher became violent, punching the bouncer under the eye before being pulled away by a group of women.

Snr Const Ward said the man suffered pain and discomfort and bruising to his eye.

Two days later, Gallaher became involved in an argument with a doorman at The Shaft nightclub in Gympie. He punched the bouncer in the left cheekbone, forcing him to be taken to hospital.

A month later on October 17, Gallaher’s sister and her 19-year-old boyfriend became involved in an argument on the way home from a night out during which they had attended several nightclubs.

Gallaher came down the street and intervened in the argument, after which the boyfriend ran away.

The defendant chased the teenager and punched him in the jaw, causing him to fall to the ground bleeding from the face.

Snr Const Ward told the court police believed a number of Gallaher’s friends then began to kick the man as he lay on the ground but it was unknown who caused the broken jaw.

The victim was taken to the Royal Brisbane Hospital for surgery on his jaw.

The defendant initially denied assaulting the man but admitted he was angry at him for insulting his sister.

Snr Const Ward said Gallaher had three charges of a similar nature on his history.

Defence barrister Simon Burgess said his client’s charge for the assault on his sister’s boyfriend had been downgraded from grievous bodily harm to assault causing bodily harm, as medical evidence suggested the man’s injuries could have been consistent with a kick to the head.

He said Gallaher had also spent 10 months in jail after he was arrested while on bail for these offence for a charge that was later dropped.

“He undertook numeracy and literacy programs while on remand,” Mr Burgess said.

“He works as an air conditioning mechanic and has expectations of going to Western Australia to work in the mines.”

Magistrate Jennifer Batts pointed out the seriousness of Gallaher’s offences.

“There’s a very strong incentive on you to address matters of this nature because in the future, you are certainly looking at longer and longer periods of imprisonment,” she told the defendant.

Gallaher was sentenced to four months jail wholly suspended for two years.

Gympie Times

GALLERY: 22 photos from the pre-muster party on Mary Street

premium_icon GALLERY: 22 photos from the pre-muster party on Mary Street

OVER a thousand people gathered for the pre-muster on Mary Street.

BREAKING: QFES crews battling grassfire, south of Gympie

BREAKING: QFES crews battling grassfire, south of Gympie

ANOTHER grassfire in Gympie is keeping QFES crews busy.

Gympie pub to help drought farmers with beers this weekend

premium_icon Gympie pub to help drought farmers with beers this weekend

It's the Australian way to help a mate when things are tough

Local Partners