Imbil Lookout ready for a $90,000 upgrade
MARY VALLEY'S Imbil Lookout will receive a $90,000 upgrade thanks to State Government funding.
The Palaszczuk Government has set aside $3.2 million from its 2015 budget to spruce up lookouts through Queensland.
Main Roads and Road Safety Minister Mark Bailey announced the successful sites while visiting Henry Ross Lookout near Cairns earlier this week, where $300,000 will be spent upgrading facilities.
"The Scenic Lookout Upgrade Program was set up to help local councils revitalise existing lookouts across Queensland," Mr Bailey said.
"Lookouts on local roads will be funded on a 50:50 basis in partnership with local councils, with upgrades on state roads receiving 100 per cent state funding."
Tourism Minister Kate Jones said the Scenic Lookout Upgrade program would deliver a significant boost to drive tourism in Queensland.
"We are committed to growing Queensland tourism and this is another great way we are working with local councils to bring more tourists to regional Queensland," Ms Jones said.
"This program encourages tourists to stop and take in the scenery in our regional areas and I'm confident it will encourage more visitors to visit Queensland and make sure they come back again."
Upgrades funded across Queensland include:
- Mount Inkerman Lookout Upgrade (Burdekin) - $400,000
- Rotary Lookout Buckland Hill Upgrade (Charters Towers) - 55,000
- Cavanough Park - Balonne River Lookout Upgrade (Balonne) - $55,000
- Hummock Lookout Restoration (Bundaberg) - $165,000
- Rotary Lookout Upgrade- Chinaman Creek Dam Reserve (Cloncurry) - $285,000
- Flagstaff Hill Lookout Upgrade (Douglas) - $75,740
- Matthew Flinders Lookout Upgrade (Hervey Bay) - $70,000
- Auckland Point Lookout Upgrade (Gladstone) - $110,000
- Round Hill Lookout Upgrade (Gladstone) - $200,000
- Imbil Lookout Upgrade (Gympie) - $90,000
- Ipswich Lions Lookout Improvements (Ipswich) - $330,000
- Wreck Point Scenic Lookout Upgrade (Livingstone) - $380,000
- Cunningham's Crest Lookout Upgrade (Lockyer Valley) - $140,000
- Lambert Lookout Upgrade (Mackay) - $317,500
- Arcadia Valley Lookout Upgrade (Maranoa) - $25,000
- The Point - Settlement Cove Park Upgrade (Moreton Bay) - $92,850
- Mt Mee Lookout Upgrade (Moreton Bay) - $75,000
- McConnell Lookout Upgrade (Wide Bay/Burnett) - $51,250
- Gorge Walk Trailhead Lookout Upgrade (Redland) - $600,000
- Mt Morgan Range Scenic Lookout Upgrade (Rockhampton) - $300,000
- Hang Gliding Lookout Upgrade (Scenic Rim) - $100,000
- Mount Marley Lookout Upgrade (Southern Downs)- $82,000
- Dulong Road Lookout Upgrade (Sunshine Coast) -$300,000
- Mt Kynoch Scenic Lookout Upgrade (Toowoomba) - $295,000
- Reinke Road Scenic Lookout Upgrade (Toowoomba) - $50,000
- Castle Hill Summit Improvements (Townsville) - $350,000
- Casement Hill Lookout Upgrade (Palm Island) - $254,000
The upgrade works are due to begin in the next financial year.