Historical bridge demolished
MORE than 120 years of history have disappeared at Kilkivan with the removal of the overhead railway bridge in Bridge Street this week.
The bridge has been demolished by Gympie Regional Council as part of road works in the area, with a new road being built to connect the area east of the now-abandoned railway line path with the rest of the town.
Built in 1888, the bridge spanned the railway line through Kilkivan and has been the connection between the main street, Bligh Street and an area of the town down to the showgrounds and nearby farming areas.
Removal of the bridge, which belonged to Queensland Rail, was part of an agreement reached with the former Kilkivan Shire Council prior to its amalgamation with Cooloola Shire and part of Tiaro to form the new Gympie Regional Council.
Kilkivan Shire reached the agreement with the State Government as part of a compensation deal for the removal of the branch railway line from Theebine to Kingaroy.
Included in this agreement was funding to allow for a new road to be built in place of the bridge. Further funding from the agreement will allow for sealing of sections of the Gympie-Woolooga and Bauple-Woolooga roads; work on these projects will commence once the Kilkivan road is completed.
Once the bridge, which had been condemned by QR engineers as structurally unsound, is removed the embankment the railway track ran through will be filled.
The railway line was originally built to Kilkivan to transport hoop and bunya pine milled at Elgin Vale to populated areas. This historic mill’s preservation is now also the subject of much debate by council.