Grab a fresh fruit and veg bargain in Gympie
WINTER has finally arrived and with it a whole new season of fruit and vegetables to warm our hearts.
Sandra Groundwater from Gingers Farm Fresh Fruit and Vege says the Gympie region is brimming with fresh seasonal produce that comes to life in the colder months.
Broccoli and zucchini, grown at Wolvi, Goomboorian and in the Mary Valley, are the stars of the winter vegetable palate, while berries grown at Wolvi and in Gympie alongside citrus from Gayndah are the perfect fresh fruit choice.
Mrs Groundwater said most fruit and vegetables are available all year-round but if they are out of season locally, the freshness will suffer as long storage and travel times affect quality.
"Usually it's gone from the farm to the market and can sit for days before it comes to a shop," she said.
"If you get a handful of supermarket beans and sit them side by side locally grown beans in your crisper for a fortnight in a plastic bag; you'll notice a massive difference," she said.
"You won't be able to cook with the supermarket ones - they're too old."
For the latest guide to what's grown in the Gympie region and available in Gympie fruit shops checks the list below:
Find your fruit and veg bargain of the week in Gympie stores:
-- Gingers Farm Fresh Fruit and Vege
- Japanese/Kent pumpkins at 99c/kilo (from Cedar Pocket)
- Avocados 2 for $3 (from Wolvi)
- Passionfruit bags of 10 for $2 (from Wolvi)
Where: 42 Apollonian Vale, Gympie
Open: 7am-5.30pm weekdays, Sunday- 7am - 2pm
-- Cooly Fruit Gympie
- Brocolli $3.99/kg (from Goomboorian)
- Hybrid pineapples, acid free $3.49 (Sunshine Coast)
- Zucchins $2.79/kg (from Goomborian)
Where: Shop 5, Gympie Central Shopping Centre
Open: 8am-6pm weekdays, 8am-5pm Saturday, 8.30am-5pm Sunday.
-- Farmer & Sun Fresh Fruit and Vege
- Beans $2 a 500g bag (from Widege)
- Yellow grape tomatoes $1 a 250g punnent (from Widegee)
- Silverbeet $2.50 a bunch (from Widgee)
Where: Shop 306/1-5 Ramsey Rd, Southside Town Centre
Open: 8am-6pm weekdays and Sunday, 8am - 5pm Saturday
-- Mitchell's Fruit & Veg
- Pink mammoth custard apple $4.99/kg (from the Mary Valley)
- Hydroponic lettuce $2/head (from Langshaw)
- Roma tomatoes $4.99/kg (from Bauple)
Where: 33 Graham St, Gympie
Open: 7am-5pm weekdays and Sunday, 7am - 2pm Saturday
-- The Wild Harvest Company - Natural & Organic Food Store
- Certified organic avocados (from Wolvi)
- Certified organic zucchini (from Mothar Mountain)
- Chemical-free pesticide and herbicide free turmeric and ginger (from the Gympie region)
- Cerified organic eggs (from Tansey)
Where: 3 Reef St, Gympie
Open: 8.30am-5.30pm weekdays, 9am - 12pm Saturday