Govt calls for investigation after new black lung case
THE Queensland mining minister has called for a government coal mining and health advisory group to investigate what authorities should do about black lung, after the state's 16th case was confirmed earlier this week.
A 55-year-old Airlie Beach man was the first open-cut mine worker to be diagnosed with black lung since the disease re-emerged in Queensland last year.
Natural Resources and Mines minister Anthony Lynham said the man had spent 30 years working in an open-cut mine.
When speaking in Parliament on Wednesday, he said he would request that the Coal Mining Safety and Health Advisory Committee consider what action needed to be taken to address this issue.
He also spoke about recent changes to the coal mining safety regulation, saying they would tighten rules around dust management, reporting and medical examinations for coal mine workers.
From January 1, mines will be required to report dust monitoring results every three months.
All new coal mine workers will also need to undergo a chest x-ray when entering the industry and all workers will undergo respiratory checks and chest x-rays for underground coal mine workers at least once every five years.
The LNP also renewed its calls for a royal commission of inquiry into the re-emergence of black lung.
- ARM NEWSDESK