Menu
News

Camping trip cancelled after gas bottle catches fire

Emergency services are on site at the Bunnings Gladstone centre after a gas bottle explosion.
Emergency services are on site at the Bunnings Gladstone centre after a gas bottle explosion. Mike Richards GLA020415FIRE

UPDATE SATURDAY: A two-week camping trip for the Vangelder family went up in a ball of flames on Thursday when their trailer full of camping equipment caught fire in the Bunnings Centre car park.

Police said it was a timely reminder to be safe at the start of the Easter holidays.

Hundreds of people had to be evacuated from the area in what was an "extremely difficult" situation, according to a local fire chief.

James Vangelder's son - who was taken to hospital as a result of the incident - was changing the gas bottle on their camping fridge when one of the bottles caught on fire.

His son managed to move two other gas bottles out of the way of the flames, moments before the entire trailer caught alight.

Mr Vangelder said the family's holiday was now off the cards, and he would be going straight back to work to pay for the damage.

"There were eight of us going to North West Island for two weeks and that's obviously not going to happen," he said.

"(My son) is in hospital now. He is alright but is just a little shocked and feels like it's all his fault."

Gladstone Fire Station acting station officer Dale Iwanicki said it was lucky nobody was seriously injured.

"We urge the public to take care all the time ... when using gas cylinders," he said.

UPDATE FRIDAY 3PM:

QFES said a gas bottle was on fire when they arrived, while two others had been removed from the area.

The gas bottles were on the family's trailer, as they were packing to go on holidays.

UPDATE 2.34PM:

QAS were called to the scene at 2pm after reports surfaced a gas cylinder had exploded.

The owner of the vehicle's son, a 25-year-old male, was transported to hospital in a stable condition, suffering from symptoms of shock.

EARLIER:

POLICE are stopping traffic into the Bunnings Gladstone carpark after a gas bottle explosion.

The area, on the corner of Dawson Hwy and Harvey Rd, was being evacuated and the entrances closed off.

It is unknown if anyone has been injured but emergency services including paramedics and firies are on site.

A Bunnings staffer reported that a camper trailer gas bottle exploded.

Topics:  editors picks emergency gas bottle gladstone



If you grew up in Wolvi, you know who this is...

An Olympic Torch for the 2000 Sydney Olympics holds pride of place amongst other precious memories for this Wolvi local legend.

Check out how this Wolvi community pillar spent this milestone.

Bay Power earns first win of the season

FIRST WIN: Bay Power earned its first win of the AFL Wide Bay Womens season.

The Power won 4.4-28 - 2.1-13.

How to add to your family in the sweetest way possible

How could you possibly say 'no' to that face?  Meet Bounty and nine other Gympie RSPCA orphans looking for homes.

Check out these adorable orphans needing your love at Gympie RSPCA

Local Partners