Garden guru returns for expo
GARDENING guru Jerry Coleby-Williams will be gracing Gympie again this year as guest headliner at the Garden Expo on the weekend of May 4-5.
As popular ABC Gardening Australia show-host and well-known horticulturist and writer, Mr Coleby-Williams will present what he is passionate about; the future of horticulture.
Those attending his talk at the Gympie Showgrounds will no doubt come away with the right tools to become self-sufficient, sustainable gardeners.
Mr Coleby-Williams said he wants to teach the people of the Gympie region "how to be better gardeners by understanding how to manage beneficial animals living all around us".
"Even in ordinary suburban places, like Wynnum, I have discovered extraordinary species new to science, and they are making gardening easier," he said.
Mr Coleby-Williams learned the gardening trade at Britain's Royal Gardens at Kew, was a horticultural consultant on major Sydney garden projects and managed the botanical estate for Sydney's Royal Botanical Gardens for 11 years.
In 2003, Mr Coleby-Williams moved to Brisbane to create Bellis, a model sustainable house and garden and a Queensland government sanctioned experiment.
Leading the way in biodiversity management, the Bellis house and garden shows how plant and animal allies help put traditional, seasonal, organic food on the table.
Mr Coleby Williams recently posted to followers on his Facebook page:
"As we garden in a continuously surprising climate, it pays to know which species to trust."
Mr Coleby Williams aims his organic gardening practices at all people, despite budget.
"I practise what I preach, and I preach about my passions; food sovereignty for people on a low income and conservation."
Urging all gardeners to learn about seed saving techniques he said:
"This is how, in a warming world, you can feed a family whatever your budget and whatever your skill levels are."
Gympie Garden Expo Schedule May 4-5
- 8.30am-9.30am Noel Burdette - Learning the art of gardening.
- 9.45am-10.45am Jerry Coleby-Williams - 21st Century Cottage Gardening
- 11am-noon Tom Wyatt - Pest control and nutrients of soil.
- 12.15pm-1.15pm Noel Burdette - The importance of biodiversity in the garden.
- 1.30pm-3pm Jerry Coleby-Williams - 21st Century Cottage Gardening
- 3.15pm-4pm Tom Wyatt - Pest control and nutrients of soil.
- 9am-10am Tom Wyatt - Pest control and nutrients of soil.
- 10.15am-11.15am Noel Burdette - Creating a cottage garden in the subtropics.
- 11.30am-12.30pm Tom Wyatt - Pest control and nutrients of soil.
- 12.45pm-1.45pm Noel Burdette - How to have a healthy eco-system in your garden