Toxic fumes overcome Springfield lagoon workers

TWO Orion Lagoon workers were taken to hospital after being overcome by toxic fumes at the weekend.

Emergency services were alerted to the incident at the popular recreational spot at Springfield yesterday just before midday.

It is understood hydrochloric acid and chlorine were somehow mixed together before coming into contact with water.

A pool maintenance person and a cleaner are believed to have been overcome by the fumes in the lagoon's pump house.

Three Queensland Fire and Rescue units attended the scene where scientific officers conducted tests and ventilated the area.

A Queensland Ambulance spokesman said the two men were taken to Ipswich Hospital in a stable condition as a precaution.

The lagoon was not closed during the brief incident and the public was not placed in danger due to the chemical spill.



GREAT DEAL: $5 a month for all the best stories, rewards

Premium Content GREAT DEAL: $5 a month for all the best stories, rewards

Get discount Binge streaming and Kayo live sports access

50 men and women to face Gympie court today

Premium Content 50 men and women to face Gympie court today

The full list of people facing Gympie Magistrates Court today

Crisis deepens for region’s most disadvantaged addresses

Premium Content Crisis deepens for region’s most disadvantaged addresses

A community advocate has been ‘blown away’ by the shocking socio-economic status of...