Free after bomb hoax

A KENILWORTH man who phoned 000 and claimed to be a bomb expert who would blow up the whole town has walked free after serving more than a year in jail for assaulting a friend who punched his pregnant girlfriend.

Robert Patrick Dobbie was drinking at the Kenilworth Hotel on March 4 last year when he received a phone call from his girlfriend, who was at home, to say she had been punched by a then friend of the couple, Shane Eder.

Dobbie rushed home immediately and, with another friend, confronted Eder soon after in a nearby street.

Dobbie grabbed Eder around the neck, causing two lacerations. Dobbie noticed his own hand was cut and bleeding, so he let go.

Angry about his injury, Dobbie picked up a 1.8m long star picket and struck Eder twice.

Dobbie then phoned 000 to get medical assistance for his cut hand.

Dobbie claimed he was a bomb expert who knew how to make the accelerant napalm, and that he planned to build a bomb to blow up the whole of Kenilworth.

Dobbie told the operator that he was "not going easy" and was going to "take out as many people as possible".

He later told police he made the comments so he would be taken seriously.

Dobbie, who was released on Tuesday after sentencing in Maroochydore District Court, had served 456 days in jail.

Gympie Times


OPINION: Be careful what you wish for in Barnaby case

OPINION: Be careful what you wish for in Barnaby case

Strict rules could end up backfiring on us in the long run.

Plea to put community first

Plea to put community first

'Why doesn't the council encourage business and employment?'

Qld weather: Little reprieve as flood warnings put in place

Qld weather: Little reprieve as flood warnings put in place

Brisbane weather: Queensland storms to bring ‘month’s worth of rain

Local Partners