Gympie boy dies in hospital

UPDATE: A NORTH Deep Creek male, 17, has died overnight in hospital, following a serious crash at Corella on Sunday.

Police are now repairing a report for the coroner.

The boy was taken to hospital in a serious condition after being flung from his motorbike on Sunday.


MONDAY: A NORTH Deep Creek male, 17, remains in a serious condition after being flung from his motorbike on Sunday.

Senior Constable Brad Hargraves said the boy was riding with a friend about 12.40pm along the railway tracks near Old Maryborough Rd at Corella.

The first rider stopped suddenly when he noticed a ditch about two metres deep, but the 17-year-old hit the hole and was thrown over the handlebars and up to 10 metres into the air.

Snr Const Hargraves said the teen remained in a serious condition in the Royal Brisbane Hospital's intensive care unit while recovering from head injuries.

The train line was closed for a short time while ambulance and police were at the scene of the crash.

The teen was at first taken to Gympie Hospital and then airlifted to the Royal Brisbane and Women's Hospital by the AGL Action Rescue Helicopter.

His was just one of four motorbike crashes at the weekend.

The helicopter had been treating another motocross rider when they were sent to the Corella job.

That rider, a 26-year-old Wurtulla man, was airlifted to Nambour Hospital in a stable condition after crashing his bike.

He was riding at the Cooyar Mount Carmel motocross track about 11am when he lost control coming down a hill, fell and broke his leg.

The man was stabilised by the AGL helicopter's flight doctor and paramedic before being airlifted in a stable condition.

Meanwhile on Saturday a Ballogie man, 62, who crashed his motorbike on the Burnett Hwy, was flown out to Bundaberg Hospital in a stable condition.

He was riding to Biloela when he lost control about 10 kilometres north of Monto at 3.20pm.

The AGL Action Rescue helicopter's flight paramedic treated the man for possible spinal injuries before he was taken to hospital.

And earlier that day a Brisbane man was airlifted to the Royal Brisbane and Women's Hospital in a serious but stable condition after a crash in state forest north of Woodford.

The man was riding a dirt bike about 11.30am when his bike and a car collided on a dirt track.

The 21-year-old man was sent flying up to 15 metres in the air and cracked his helmet in the crash.

He suffered multiple trauma injuries including a fractured arm and was treated for a possible spinal injury by the AGL helicopter's flight doctor and paramedic before being stabilised.

Topics:  agl action rescue helicopter crash motorbike

Gympie Times

Widgee business fight, Valley crash and more weekend news

Mike Hartley addresses the crowd gathered in support of Widgee Engineering.

Catch up with the weekend news right here.

Roads, rates and rubbish: Fredman hits the campaign trail

Division 8 by-election candidate Bob Fredman.

My main interest is in roads, rates and rubbish: letter

Roadcraft CEO: Driver education reform needs to happen

Sharlene Markin CEO of Road Craft Gympie.

"We set people up to fail in front of their peers

Local Partners