In former glory for a short time
THE magnificent old Queenslander on Lady Mary Tce was built in the 1880s for William Smyth, the mayor of Gympie 1883-1884, and his family.
Mr Smyth had come to Gympie as an underground miner and eventually became director of the Phoenix Mine and the largest owner on the Gympie mining field.
In more recent times, the home included a doctor's surgery, which was occupied by Dr Bill Lindsay and his family, followed by Dr David Cairncross and family.
The property was severely rundown when purchased by the Department of Communities with funding from Queensland Health.
The 18-month restoration project provided Choice Support Services with space for administration offices, interview rooms and a gym.
A formal dining room in the heart of the building was turned into a boardroom and bedrooms became participant activity areas, which included a gym.
Major work was completed in 2009 to ensure the building was sound and able to meet fire safety, disability and food preparation regulations.
Choice staff assisted with many aspects of the renovation and participants were trained to help out on all areas of the building site.