Flood support available
THE Department of Communities was in Gympie yesterday to help residents that were affected by the weekend's flood.
A spokeswoman said Community Recovery support was activated for residents affected by flooding on the Sunshine Coast and in the Gympie region.
"The department is undertaking outreach services to assist people affected by the flooding to get the support they need," the spokeswoman said.
"Over the last couple of days outreach teams have targeted visits in the Cooroy, Noosaville, Tewantin, Pomona, Cooran and Gympie areas.
"These areas are prioritised on the basis of advice from the Local Disaster Management Group and calls to the 1800 173 349 Community Recovery Hotline."
In partnership with the Australian Red Cross, St Vincent de Paul and Lifeline the department offers assistance to individuals and families who have experienced significant inundation or loss and are unable to help themselves following a disaster. The assistance includes personal support and counselling as well as financial hardship assistance.
"Personal support and counselling is available for people who just need someone to talk to about what happened or who are distressed by their experience."
A range of financial assistance measures are available and include:
- Emergent Assistance Grant (not income and assets tested for uninsured)
- Essential Household Contents Grant (income and assets tested)
- Structural Assistance Grant (income and assets tested)
- Essential Services Safety and Reconnection Scheme Grant (income and assets tested)
Financial assistance measures are available for individuals and families who have:
- experienced significant loss as a direct result of the flooding
- are within the disaster affected area
- do not have the ability to support themselves financially
- are unable to access support from friends and family and
- are unable to access support from local community services
People can access support by contacting the Community Recovery Hotline on 1800 173 349.
For details see communities.qld.gov.au.