IT TOOK just a few minutes for fire crews to race to a house in North Rockhampton after a 000 call yesterday.

Resident Levi Lawrence saw flames coming from his house in Robinson St at 1pm and dialled for help.

Fire crews managed to put out the blaze, which caused damage to the house's roof and smoke damage inside the structure.

North Rockhampton Fire station officer Shane Slater said they got a call about a power box on fire and when crews arrived there was smoke entering from the connection of the service wire to the fascia board on the house.

SAVED: A quick response from fire crews kept a house intact at Robinson St, after a power box caught alight.
SAVED: A quick response from fire crews kept a house intact at Robinson St, after a power box caught alight. Fire At Robinson Street

"We isolated the power and investigations will be done by the electrical authority," he said.

"Three people living in the premises were accounted for."

Fire crews were decontaminated after leaving the house due to asbestos. Mr Slater said it was a precaution due to the age of the home.

Levi wanted to thank the fire crews for their quick action and for saving his home.
 



Southside hairdresser caught with $100k in goods

Premium Content Southside hairdresser caught with $100k in goods

The 31-year-old faced the Gympie court with no criminal history and said she was...

Ex-council boss hits back at claims of ‘poor management’

Premium Content Ex-council boss hits back at claims of ‘poor management’

The former head of Gympie Regional Council’s water services has disputed claims...

GYMPIE VOTES: Everything you need to know

Premium Content GYMPIE VOTES: Everything you need to know

Where are the local polling booths? Who are the candidates and what do they stand...