Dog owners are being warned that the mushrooms that have popped up on lawns and parklands across southeast Queensland following the recent rain event can kill.

While not all fungi are toxic it can be difficult to tell those that are dangerous to pets, so Brisbane veterinarian Dr Joshua Llinas advises dog owners to keep a close eye on their fur babies.

Wet-weather mushrooms can be poisonous.
Wet-weather mushrooms can be poisonous.

"It is vital that if a dog has eaten a mushroom and is showing signs of being unwell and vomiting that they are taken immediately to the vet," he said.

"Fast detox is essential in these cases. Once absorbed some of these fungi can be fatal."

The doctor advises pet owners to take photos of the fungi to help the experts identify the type.

"These wet-weather mushrooms can be dangerous to all animals including guinea pigs and even birds but dogs are more likely to be inquisitive," he said.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Originally published as Fatal fungi: Warning over wet-weather mushrooms



Interactive: Where you can still get a house for $500k

Premium Content Interactive: Where you can still get a house for $500k

Here’s where you can still get a house for less than $500,000

50 PHOTOS: School holiday fun around Gympie

Premium Content 50 PHOTOS: School holiday fun around Gympie

Take a look at the 50 snaps of smiling faces having fun around Gympie.

Blood rituals, bikie hit jobs, poisoned coffee and stabbings

Premium Content Blood rituals, bikie hit jobs, poisoned coffee and stabbings

Ryan Morcom, Darren Jeffers: Duo guilty of slitting Yandina man’s throat