Stock photo
Stock photo Tessa Mapstone

Family of five evacuates as smoke fills home

A FAMILY of five were forced to evacuate their home on Camphorlaurel Drive last night when a a small fire broke out in their kitchen.

Fire and Rescue officers were called to the scene at about 7.30pm, where they found the fire already extinguished on arrival but a house filled with smoke.

A spokesman said the fire has started when a pot of boiling water that was being used to sterilise baby bottles boiled dry and the plastic bottles caught on fire.

The house was ventilated by the fire and rescue crew.

A spokesman said it is a timely reminder to be careful around smoke.

"All house fire smoke is toxic," the Gympie officer said.

"If there's smoke in a house you should evacuate and call 000 immediately."

There were no injuries from the incident. 



Legend Langman calls time on netball career

Premium Content Legend Langman calls time on netball career

Sunshine Coast Lightning captain Laura Langman is retiring

Valium, Viagra and crystal meth found on Gympie dad

Premium Content Valium, Viagra and crystal meth found on Gympie dad

The 48-year-old was loitering outside the Empire Hotel when he was busted a second...

Young dad assaulted Gympie cop after drink driving bust

Premium Content Young dad assaulted Gympie cop after drink driving bust

Police said the 21-year-old’s history was ‘nothing short of terrible’.