Headstones won't be lowered
NINETEEN families are happy after the Gympie Cemetery Trust voted last Thursday not to lower the headstones of their loved ones buried in the Gympie Cemetery Cassia lawn section along Cartwright Road.
The Cemetery Trust originally intended to lower the headstones and set their 50mm granite bases into a cemetery-provided concrete strip as the trust considered the bases too high and a possible trip hazard.
But the idea angered some of the 19 families who would be affected, with one saying the move was disrespectful.
Yesterday, Gympie Cemetery Trust supervisor Lee Selby said the board decided not to go ahead with lowering the bases because of feedback from the families affected.
But Mr Selby said the trust would be keeping a policy adopted in 2008 that stopped the use of 50mm bases.
Grave plots adjoining those previously allowed the 50mm bases would be allowed to use the same height base in the future, he said.
Mr Selby said he had talked to all the families involved and they were happy with the decision.
Tracey McKean, whose father was buried in the lawn cemetery in 2009, collected more than 500 signatures on a petition calling for her father’s and others’ graves to be left alone.
“I would like to thank all who supported the families by signing the petition, The Gympie Times for highlighting the issue and the Cemetery Trust board for reversing the decision,” she said.
Mrs McKean said she was elated the trust listened to her and other families’ concerns and wishes and she was happy the issue had been resolved.
In a letter sent to families, the Cemetery Trust has apologised for any distress or anxiety caused, saying it was not their intent.