Eleven-year manhunt for accused rapist ends in Mackay CBD
AN ACCUSED sex offender on the run for 11 years has been arrested in Mackay.
In 2004 the man had been committed to stand trial in a Victorian court for rape.
It is alleged the offence occurred in July 2003 in Victoria and involved someone known to him.
The man was granted bail and then failed to appear in court.
A warrant had been issued in 2004.
An 11-year manhunt by Victorian police traced the wanted man to Mackay and he was arrested on Saturday night at a licensed premise in the CBD.
Victorian Police Detective Acting Sergeant Jason Benbow said the man had changed identities many times in order to avoid detection.
He was arrested by Mackay detectives, Det Act Sgt Benbow said.
Now 42, the man fronted the Mackay Magistrates Court on Tuesday where an extradition order was heard.
Mackay Police Criminal Investigation Branch officer-in-charge Detective Senior Sergeant David Tucker said the extradition order was not opposed.
Snr Sgt Tucker said Victorian police had provided the CIB with intelligence they had been collating in relation to the fugitive's whereabouts.
The Victorian police had suspected he'd been living in Mackay. He was arrested and it was confirmed he was the person named in the Victorian arrest warrant, Snr Sgt Tucker said.
"He had been on the run for 11 years," he said.
"It's great to be able to locate him and put him back before the courts."
Victorian detectives travelled to Mackay to extradite the man and he returned to Victoria in their custody on Wednesday.